The midweek international friendlies take place today, most notably England vs Brazil with Gerrard and Wilshere set to form a central midfield partnership, but there is quite a bit of injury news coming out of the international camps that will concern our Fantasy Premier League sides heading into this weekend. Here is the latest injury news:
- Daniel Sturridge has been ruled out of England’s friendly with Brazil due to a thigh injury. Fantasy managers will hope that Suarez’s sidekick is fit for Liverpool’s double gameweek games though this does present a bit of a concern.
- Marouane Fellaini, the best budget midfielder of the FPL season (along with Michu) is also an injury doubt – for Everton’s trip to Old Trafford this weekend, with a hip problem. Fellaini scored the only goal as Everton beat United at the start of the season.
- Petr Cech has a broken finger. Ross Turnbull to the rescue? Chelsea are set to take on Wigan this weekend after their collapse at Newcastle and will need Cech in goal. Turnbull has been mediocre, at best, in his appearances, and Chelsea have not looked solid at the back without their big Czech ‘keeper.
- Demba Ba has a broken nose. Fernando Torres should start against Wigan as Ba is suffering from the broken nose he received courtesy of Fabricio Colocini’s boot on Saturday.
- Southampton’s star left back and U-21 England international Luke Shaw is also injured.
- Manchester United star defender / midfielder Phil Jones is set to be out of action for up to a month with shingles. Chris Smalling has not been used at right back as much as Jones has in recent months, so Rafael should face little or no rotation due to the Jones’ shingles problem.
- Jermain Defoe’s ankle injury leaves Tottenham with a striker crisis though Adebayor is set to return imminently from the African Cup of Nations. Defoe will be out for up to 3 weeks. In Gareth Bale’s current form at the moment, who needs a striker?
There you have it. Injuries to FPL studs such as Ba, Defoe, Cech, Fellaini, Sturridge and others this week give us a bit more to think about as we plan for the weekend. What other players will go down with injuries in the dozens of international friendlies set to be played in a few hours time? Let’s hope that the remainder of our FPL stars make it out unscathed.
Today, it’s all about England vs Brazil. But tomorrow it’s back to our FPL drawing boards, and by the looks of it, we’ll be spending a bit of extra time with the physio in the medical treatment room this weekend.
Good luck to all fantasy managers.