Injuries galore, Arsenal win 7-5 at Reading, and other midweek news and notes as we prepare for the coming weekend…
- Manchester City’s Micah Richards is facing up to 4 months out with a knee injury. From a fantasy perspective, Pablo Zabaleta (currently out with a hamstirng problem but set to return very soon) and Maicon should rotate at the RB spot, with Zabaleta being the preferred option.
- In further injury news, Arsenal’s Gervinho is out for 4 weeks with an ankle injury. The Ivory Coast star had something of an August-September renaissance for the Gunners, scoring goals in the league and Champions League, but it looks like he’s out of action, and rotation for a while.
- Speaking of Arsenal, the side managed to overturn a 4-0 deficit to come back and beat Reading 7-5, yes you read that correctly, 7-5, in the Capital One Cup last night. Theo Walcott scored a hat trick and he instantly gets on our radar as a FPL potential acquisition with Gervinho out. Could Walcott outscore Santi Cazorla from here on out?
- Funny Feeling Friday Christian Benteke not only scored this past weekend in the league against Norwich, he also scored again last night in the Capital One Cup. Aston Villa have difficult fixtures over the next few games, but the 6.5m rated and 0.1% owned striker is in hot form. Who needs Darren Bent, anyway?
- Newcastle are sweating on Demba Ba’s fitness ahead of the team’s visit to Anfield this weekend. Ba vs Suarez would have been quite the striker’s delight – both are in-form options that are much cheaper than the likes of the heralded RVP & Aguero from a fantasy perspective, but Ba has a shin injury and is only 50-50 to make the game.