A bit of what’s going on in Butt’s Brain on this Saturday afternoon just a few hours after the Premier League has kicked off. Here are your Gameweek 1 Fantasy Premier League news and notes:
- MICHU. Swansea won 5-0 on the road at QPR and Michu, who we have featured prominently on the blog over the past few weeks, was the star man. 2 goals and an assist. Nathan Dyer, last year’s budget FPL player at 4.5m, also scored twice. He’s 5.5m this year but it’s clear that Michu will be the main bargain weapon.
- Arsenal weren’t able to beat Sunderland at home. The game ended 0-0. Santi Cazorla impressed despite the draw. The 9m FPL rated attacking midfielder took corner kicks, shot from distance, and showed superb technique. He’ll be Arsenal’s highest scoring FPL selection this season barring injury. Good debut.
- Reading came away with a 1-1 draw against Stoke on their first game in the Premier League in years. It was not the 5m rated Pogrebnyak, but instead the 5m rated Le Fondre who scored the equalising goal. Le Fondre converted a late penalty with Pogrebnyak already substituted off.
- FULHAM and Petric [6m] clobbered Norwich 5-0. Who needs Clint Dempsey? Petric is another player we featured prominently in our pre-season previews as a big time bargain stud. He’s clearly the first choice option over Hugo Rodallega, and Martin Jol’s familiarity with the striker only helps his cause. He’ll take a lot of confidence from this result and his FPL value is superb.
- Fulham’s Kacaniklic [4.5m] could be this year’s Nathan Dyer if he can get regular starts at the wide left midfield position. He scored today and would be an absolute bargain as a 5th midfielder in the FPL game if (big if!) he continues to start. We’ll monitor the situation and keep you all updated.
- Liverpool lost 0-3 at West Brom. A surprising result, surely. Suarez and Gerrard failed to fire.
- West Ham and Sam Allardyce quietly beat Aston Villa 1-0 at home. Solid stuff with old Newcastle FPL stuff Kevin Nolan from year’s past grabbing the goal.